Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why GGG'isms


First off, the pronunciation.  It’s Ga Gizm, both hard G’s. 

Many years ago, I think maybe in my college days, I was giving my name over the phone for something and the person on the other end said “is that with one or two g’s?”  I’m not sure I had ever been actually asked that question before and my immediate response was 3.  And I have stuck with the 3 g’s (or GGG) ever since.  Some folks even call me Triple G.

So there’s the how and the why, now the what.

I have this weird tendency to blurt out comments that pop in my mind before really giving it much thought (3 g’s was a good example).  Often these comments elicit a smile or a laugh (sometimes even from me) so I started thinking I should write them down.  Maybe I could do a page a day calendar, or one of those books you can only find on the spinny rack at a pharmacy.  I thought I’d call it GGG’isms: Little Spurts of Humor  (think about it).  Then someone suggested I start a blog.  Two things wrong with that, I had no idea how I would keep up a blog and more importantly I had no idea how to start one.  The suggestion dropped and I kept making my little side comments.

Jump ahead a few years and I write this thing I want to share and so I asked around and voila.

So the idea was to be funny, not morbid, but we all need some inspiration.    Moving forward there will be some other stuff I’ve written (I really appreciated the comments folks made on my writing so I figured I’d share some more) and my movie reviews.  And more often than not some true GGG’isms.

For example –

A few years back Southwest announced that they would be charging overweight travelers for an extra seat.  About a week after, I was talking to a friend about a mutual friend I had recently met up with.  Neither my friend nor I had seen this mutual friend in years.  The mutual friend had put on a few pounds (like I could talk) and when my friend asked about him the first thing that came to mind was “Not flying Southwest.”  A GGG’ism was born.  A month or two later, I had flown into Philly to visit family and friends.  While waiting in baggage claim I took a look around and posted on FB, “Guess Southwest doesn’t fly into Philly anymore.”

My Dad, not long before he died, was unable to eat normally and had to take food through a feeding tube. I was home one day and he was “eating” and he started to ask me a few questions.  I turned to him and said, “You always taught us not to talk while we were eating.”  Yes, he laughed.

Before that (by at least a decade) my sister was in the hospital after suffering from the first of an unfortunate series of seizures.  Being the brother that I am, I went to visit her.  The whole family was there and at one point I told my sister, “Now I know what to get you for Hanukah, a box of tongue depressors.”  Yes, she laughed.  Can’t say the same for my Dad at that particular moment.

And sometimes it’s just stuff that sounds funny to me like (and this was going to be the subtitle of the book), “Never give a fat girl a roofie.”

So, very much like me, they can be offensive, inappropriate, and not really that funny to the masses. 

So enjoy, subscribe, tell your friends, unsubscribe, ignore.  Whatever is your pleasure.  Honestly, I just need a venue to get these things out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment