Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Slap

[Warning -- This could very easily fall into a category of "Ethnically Insensitive" which I have been accused of on some occasions.  I never mean to be offensive, just if I find something funny I'm not sure why I have to limit myself to being a male Jew.  The world is an open book to me.]

So I am refusing to watch this new show The Slap.  This is rare for me as I believe that if I am going to dislike or mock something I should be familiar with it (one of the reasons I have sat through so many Spielberg films -- don't get me started).   The commercials alone have driven my decision.  Here's what I am seeing.  A bratty kid is swinging a bat around other, not so bratty kids.  A parent (Spock) tells the kid not to and grabs the bat from his hand.  Kid kicks adult. Adult slaps kid.  Music changes, everything goes to slow motion.  Lots of scenes of anger and rage (and a brief sound clip of the grandmother -- I'm guessing -- saying the kid deserved it).  This is a mini series?

To set the record straight, I was spanked as a kid.  I have never spanked (or laid a hand on) my kids.  Felt I learned my lesson but not sure it's the way I want to teach the lesson.  But, a miniseries?

Here's my idea.  Set this up in an urban environment.  Same preview up until just after the slap.  That's the end of the miniseries.  Call it "Up Side the Head" and move on.

I'm throwing this out there for you SNL writers or Late Night folks.  It's all yours (like any of them read this).

One man's opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment