Sunday, January 25, 2015

Why The Widowmaker and why I wrote it

Why would I call that story The Widowmaker?  About a week after what I can only refer to as "The Event", I saw my primary physician. A doctor I really like. He's a bit different than other doctors I've had.  He actually will take extra time to talk with me and he wears cowboy boots. So I go to see him as a follow up. He walks in the exam room, looks over to me and says, "Welcome back."  He stops, looks at me for a moment, walks over to me, opens his arms, gives me a hug and repeats, "Welcome Back!"

He proceeds to tell me how lucky I was. He tells me the artery with the blockage, the one that caused the heart attack, has a nickname. It's called the Widowmaker.  Seems only about 10% of those who experience what I did actually survive. Wow, that put things into a whole different perspective for me.

He then asks me about the experience. Did I see a light?  Did I have an out of body experience?  Did I feel myself floating above and watching what went on?  Nope.  I had actually told people I felt cheated that I never saw the light.   Then I told him all I remembered was some guy with a crew cut standing in front of me on the shore of a river. Guess this intrigued him because through his follow up questions I was able to remember what I wrote. He seemed really intrigued, even asked if he could call me with more questions as I remembered more. Of course.  I kinda got a kick out of that.  Then he hit me with something that really gave me pause and ultimately made me decide to get it written down. He told me that when the heart stops, you don't dream.  Not sure what I experienced, but it wasn't a dream. Again, Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment