Wednesday, September 14, 2016

There is a difference.

As I typed the title (above), all I could think of was a blindfolded chef running through the streets of Paris.  Scene from the little known (and not as funny as I had hoped -- Tunnelvision -- which I suddenly want to see again).




For years I thought the terms "being a dick" and being an asshole" were fairly interchangeable.  Two years ago I identified the difference.  In order to not get myself into trouble, I will us a (or is it an) hypothetical to present said difference.






I dated this girl a number of years ago.   We were steadily dating and fairly exclusive for over 2 1/2 years and just when I thought it was getting serious, she broke it off.  She was bored of the relationship; she need her space.  Bottom line, someone else came along that she wanted to be with more than me.  Hey, it happens right?  Life goes on.  I did pine for awhile.  Hoped that she would end the other relationship and come back to me.  My friends consoled me.  Told me that she wasn't worth it.  Move on.  The usual.  I was happy I didn't get a lot of the "yeah, I never liked her but didn't want to say anything."  Heck they liked her, it just had run its course.




So I moved on.  As did she.  Circumstances were such that we did see each other, on occasion.  Always polite and personable and no ill feelings.  She got engaged, broke it off, dated someone new.  I did what I do  best, just kind of met who I met.  Spent time with some, none with others.  Had my alone times and my busy times.




Jump forward two years.  Her car breaks down and she calls me, just to vent.  wasn't the first time; wouldn't be the last.  Ends up her car needs to be in the shop over a long weekend because there were parts needing replacement.  She needed to get to an event about 100 miles away, and had no transportation.  This was well before the age of Uber.  She was in a bind and told me (yep, didn't really ask, but told me) that I needed to drive her to the event.  wait for the 3 hours it would go on, and then drive her back.




My first thought was, "Go screw yourself, get your last boyfriend to do it!"  I didn't say that because then I would be being a dick.  Instead I drove her, waited, drove her home (even bought her dinner on the way back).  THAT was being an asshole.








Think about it



No comments:

Post a Comment