Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Kingsman

About a year ago, I saw the first preview for this movie. Seemed okay, nothing too exciting. But my son, recently turned 11, was grabbed.  Then nothing. He'd mention it every few months, couldn't remember the name, just wanted to see that movie "with the spies".  In the middle of the summer we saw the poster for it. No mention of release date, but he couldn't wait.  As the year wound to an end, we started seeing the previews a bit more.  January, a new preview. This one grabbed me.  Then, not 2 weeks before release, we found out that it was rated R. He was devastated. When it finally came out, I through the " is it really that bad" question out to FaceBook.  General consensus was it was pretty violent, but more comic book violence then anything to worry about.   Those responding knew me pretty well as did I know them. So I took the chance, and took my son to see it.

Let me get this part out of the way.  If the f word bothers you, be prepared to be bothered. It is quite violent and gory but the best way to describe it IS comic book violence.  If you are thinking about bringing a kid but want to make sure, go see it first.  It is definitely worth seeing at least twice.

This movie is tremendous fun and honestly, if it weren't for the fact that my son wanted to see it so badly, I may have missed out. Thanks for your perseverance, George.

The best way for me to describe it is if Marvel decided to make a James Bond movie, this would be the result.   It had the quality and character development we are learning to expect from Marvel, with the class we remember from the Connery and Brosnan Bonds.  It is a parody of spy movies that takes itself seriously, yet doesn't.

The casting is great. The concept makes one yearn for more.  And there are just the right amount of surprises.  I was concerned that Samuel L Jackson's speech impediment was going to get really annoying, really quickly. But it didn't; it just worked.   He is the embodiment of a Bond style villain, yet different.


I am not one to quote scenes or give spoilers, so I won't. I just want to say I really liked this movie, plan to see it at least one more time, and highly recommend it.


I do have a concern I'm concerned this will do so well that a sequel will be considered.  This movie needs no sequel.  It would make a great franchise, but please tell new stories about Kingsman, no need to continue what we've seen. I know there is a thin line between sequel and franchise. This is one case where I think the difference is important to realize.

In case I didn't make this one point clear -- go see this movie. Soon, on the big screen, and often.

No comments:

Post a Comment