Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Procedure -- Pre Op

So I had this procedure and I haven't been talking too much about it.  It really wasn't anything too out there and I've been spending my time getting back into the loop and just, well, living.  Let me take a few minutes though.

Seems after the event of 12/11/2014 it was necessary for me to have stints put into the other two arteries.  The Cardiologist who performed the emergency procedure had indicated that it really needed to happen within two weeks.  Well, that didn't happen.  It took me over a month to get a referral to a new Cardiologist alone.  I swear, the two types of doctors they really need to make the referral process pretty stress free for are Cardiologists and Psychiatrists (for two very different reasons).

Finally I get the appointment and finally I see a cardiologist.  Who, by the way, is a really nice guy (but awfully young!).  We chat about what happened the first time.  He even shows me on a picture of the heart including showing me what a clogged artery looks like.  Thankfully it was an artist's conception and not an actual photo.  He tells me that he plans on going through my wrist (as opposed to my -- well they say leg but it's really my groinal area).  He also tells me I only need one stint put in and he believes the other artery should clear up through the medication I am taking.  The best news is that, unless there are any unforeseen complications, I should be going home the same day.  Very Cool!  The not too cool part?  I am going to be awake through the whole thing.  They'll sedate me a bit to keep me calm and they will numb my wrist (oh, and no nerve endings on the way to the heart, so no worries there).  Well, that didn't seem like too much fun but hey, I'm not a cardiologist and this guy seems to know what he is doing.

So I'm ready to go.  My sister from New Jersey is arranging to come out to help me through the procedure and recuperation period.  My sister in San Fransisco was really hoping to come down too but the procedure is scheduled during one of the few weeks impossible for her to leave home.  Definitely understandable.  But, wait, they need to get approval from the insurance company.  and that takes all of a week.  Geez.

Let me stop for a minute and say that yes, I am complaining about the waiting for a referral and waiting for the approval but I am grateful that I have insurance.  It's unfortunate about the bureaucracy but the alternative?  Something I am happy I don't have to be burdened with.

I get the approval.  My sister gets the airplane tickets.  I take the time off from work.  I just can't wait to get this taken care of.

Now, for those of you who pay attention to me on Face Book, you know that I was complaining about being shaved.  I understood the reason just do not find the look attractive.  I believe my best description is comparing it to a Moray Eel.  Think about it.  So about a week before the procedure I decide that the day after I'm in the hospital I'm going to post something like "I was really happy the went through the wrist this time.  Not sure why they still shaved me."  Why, cause that's the kind of thing that I would post.

Sis gets in on Tuesday night (slightly different plans than originally scheduled as the record snow and cold on the East Coast has changes some flight plans).  We take the kids to school together on Wednesday.  I needed her to know where they needed to be picked up on Thursday as my hospital stay will probably out last their school day and on the off chance I needed to stay overnight, she needed to know where to take them Friday morning.  I go to work..  We have dinner with the kids and the Ex at a Pizza Restaurant (or what we East Coasters call a Pizzeria)  as they are doing a fund raising for the school.  I hug my kids goodbye, we head to the house and I attempt to sleep a few hours before the alarm wakes me up at 4 AM so we can be at the hospital by 6.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment