Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sharknado and Sharknado II


Tonight I had the pleasure of watching both the Sharknado movies back to back. I had only seen the first about a year and a half ago. I got a notice that there was a signing in Burbank celebrating the DVD release, and immediately arranged to drag my, then 10 year old, son with me. I got the casts' signatures, a few pictures with the stars I knew, and went home, feeling good about the experience and wondering what the heck Sharknado was. So, with little else to do that day, George and I sat down to watch it. And I loved it. It had everything all the best bad movies have. People you've seen a few places before, outrageous storyline, that one point that no matter how credible they attempt to make the story, truly stretches the limits of your already stretched imagination, overreaching drama (family strife, relationship deconstructing and reconstructing to name a couple). Hot chicks (and blokes) and usually nudity (alas, this was made for TV, so lacked that essential element).

A quick note on bad movies. Bad movies are not bad, as in poorly made or crappy.  They are bad as in they don't fit the norm and have many things I've mentioned above. Gator Bait is a bad movie.  Meteor is a crappy movie. Check them out, you'll see.  And as I am always prepared to point out, bad and crappy are in the minds of the beholder. To each his own.

So here was this just delightful movie unfolding before our eyes. I laughed throughout quite a bit. I was glad we discovered it. And then I packed the disc back in the autographed covered case and moved on with my life.

For some reason, George and I were ready to see it again. This time, sharing it with my stepson, Alex and my sister, Elyce (my 10 year old daughter was at a birthday party and staying with her Mom tonight, which worked out well as, even though she thought she wanted to see this a few months ago, she barely made it through the trailer).

This second viewing was great. I picked up on so many more of the Jaws references (having seen it, I could now spend a tad more time watching it -- if that makes any sense). It was also fun watching two newbies discovering its unique charms for the first time.  Sure the logic breach caught me again. Not to reveal anything but there is a scene where a shark pops out of a run off pipe on the side of a mountain. At this point in the film there was no way the sharks had made it to that elevation. So it bothered me. I was cool with the shark swimming down Wilshire Blvd., but this point bothered me. Go figure.

The movie ends. I am happy we watched it. I check out the time and discover there is time enough still for Sharknado II.  And happily, it was available on Netflix.

This sequel was most reminiscent of Gremlins 2. It is basically a parody of itself, but made as a straight film. The references and cameos to other films and TV shows are nonstop (gotta love seeing Judd Hirsch as a taxi driver in Manhattan). There were a couple of times where we stopped to discuss or rewound to catch a comment, or scene, or to identify an actor.  And we took the end credits fairly slow (oh wow, that was Kelly Osbourne). Though it never takes itself too seriously, it expects us to, and that is the beauty of it.  And the way it works The Today Show and weather broadcasts into the fold is priceless. I only wish they had found a way  to work Robbie Rist into the sequel.

A quick word on Ian Zierling, the hero of both movies. I was previously not very familiar with his work.  Only ever caught a few episodes of 90210. He is perfect for the role of surfing champ and low key hero.  Don't know why he's been hiding but hope he stays out, now that he is.  And by the way, I was pulling for him from the beginning on Celebrity Apprentice.


I hear they are making a third Sharknado. I, for one, can not wait.  George and Alex want it set in Miami. Me, I would love to see the Sharknado transport Ian to Oz.  Imagine the sharks swimming down the yellow brick road.

No comments:

Post a Comment